Antonio Conte said he was determined to turn Tottenham back into contenders for trophies after being confirmed as the club’s new manager on a £15m-a-year contract to June 2023, with an option to extend. The Italian, who won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2017, replaces Nuno Espírito Santo, who was sacked on Monday.
The Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, felt that he had to act after Saturday’s 3-0 home loss to Manchester United and he rekindled his interest in Conte, who he had tried to hire in June as the permanent successor to José Mourinho.
Conte has been a promised a degree of control over transfer business, alongside Fabio Paratici, the managing director of football, with whom he had a successful spell at Juventus from 2011-14. Levy has assured Conte that he will always back him for the right player. Sales will, however, remain vital to the size of the budget.
“I am extremely happy to return to coaching, and to do so at a Premier League club that has the ambition to be a protagonist again,” said Conte, who won Serie A with Internazionale last season. “Tottenham Hotspur has state-of-the-art facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world.
“I can’t wait to start working to convey to the team and the fans the passion, mentality and determination that have always distinguished me, as a player and as a coach.
“Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching. But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark. Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction.”
Conte met the players and observed training on Tuesday afternoon in preparation for Thursday’s Europa Conference League game at home to Vitesse. The club fully expect his work permit to have come through in time for him to take the team at that match. On Sunday Spurs travel to Everton in the Premier League, in which they are ninth after five defeats in their opening 10 games.
Paratici said: “We are delighted to welcome Antonio to the club. His track record speaks for itself, with vast experience and trophies in both Italy and England. I know first-hand the qualities Antonio can bring to us, having worked with him at Juventus, and look forward to seeing his work with our talented group of players.”